As a scheduling manager at Streamline Systems, I (Kylene Almeida) am often blown away by all of the new technology that clients can have installed in their homes. It struck me the other day that some of the new technology could really benefit my best friend, Megan Reynolds. Two weeks after standing in my wedding in 2010, I got a call that she had been in a car accident and most likely would not make it through the night. I dropped to the floor and welled up in tears. When I got to the hospital, I saw my lively and spontaneous friend laying in a bed as if she were a vegetable with thousands of tubes in every direction. I almost fainted, but her dad had me sit down. She lived in one hospital or another for 9 months as she recovered. The best moment for me in those days was when she began to talk again and asked how each one of my family members was doing. I realized she not only had her long term memory, but kept that same selfless and endearing personality that is uniquely hers. Here she was hardly moving and concerned more for others than herself. She is doing much better now, but still needs our help. Streamline Systems is going to give Megan a Control4 automation system at cost. This would greatly improve her independence. Please read her testimony below and join us in donating to her cause.
On September 18, 2010 I was a passenger in a terrible car accident. I am now a Thoracic Level Paraplegic (T6-T8 Para), I also received a Traumatic Brain Injury (Closed head injury – TBI), and a left arm brachial plexus injury. In addition I had many other broken bones & bruises on vital organs. My current lasting effects from the TBI & the brachial plexus injury are minimal. I had vision and memory loss around the time of the injury & still have some difficulty with short term memory. In addition I have muscle tremors/spasms in both arms & my neck due to the TBI. The sensitivity & dexterity in my left hand is not as acute as my right, due to the brachial plexus injury. All lasting long term effects directly relate to my spinal cord injury (SCI).
I believe God gave me a second chance by miraculously saving my life and giving me the opportunity to show the world that life goes on after a tragic event such as mine. Many people feel that your life ends when you are restrained to a wheel chair or labeled as disabled or handicap, but I chose to view it as a gift & an opportunity.
My Faith, Family, & Friends are a HUGE part of my life. They have been & continue to be a great support system & help in so many ways. I love and appreciate them very much! My life would not be the same without them.
I LOVE to travel, especially with my best friend Kylene. Prior to the accident, we would gather up every last penny we had to travel throughout Europe to cities like Paris, London & Rome. We stayed in hostels and didn’t eat, but we saw the world! Now I have a new adventure to conquer in getting myself mobile and independent once more.
Megan L. Reynolds
Megan’s Freedom & Independent Living Benefit
I am excited to tell our friends and customers that after two years of living in a hotel room, this spring and summer, Megan will be building a new home in Hudsonville that is wheelchair accessible. While working at Streamline Systems, I have seen the benefits of Control4’s automation systems as a luxury. Wouldn’t it be great to give this to Megan, who actually NEEDS it? In order to give Megan more independence, Streamline Systems is designing a Control4 home automation system for her new home. This is projected to cost $14,000.00. Many of our Control4 client’s and builders who are familiar with Control4 capabilities have generously blessed Megan with donations. What a testimony! Every little bit helps, please join us in the opportunity to bless a local girl who needs our help. If you would like to donate, please send a check made out to Streamline Systems, Inc. with “Megan Reynolds” in the reference line. The address is: 127 Old M-21, Jenison, MI 49428. You can also send a payment with your credit card through PayPal. All funds will go to Megan’s “Freedom and Independent Living” benefit.
Thank you so much for partnering with us in this effort that is so dear to our hearts.
From all of us at Streamline Systems, Inc.
Control4: Safety & Independent Living
- Control4® dimmers and switches easily replace existing light switches, or plug into outlets to offer complete control of your lights and electronic equipment without construction hassles. And the energy savings come naturally.
- You can control lighting scenes throughout your home from a central keypad or touch screen—no more dashing through the house to flip switches. You can even have your house lights turn on as you’re pulling into the driveway so you never have to enter a dark home again.
- Lights can be programmed to come on at desired times.
- Dimmed lighting paths can be created. For example, Megan could have a lighting path from the hallway to the bathroom and kitchen on at night.
- With remote access, Megan could turn the lights on/off while in her wheelchair and when away from home.
- Porch light could come on when guests arrive at the door.
- Add enhanced security and convenience to any Control4 system. Simply go keyless, or custom-configure your door locks to trigger automatically as part of a goodnight or welcome home scene that also includes lights, security systems, garage doors, and even your heating and air conditioning. The locks are easily managed from any internet connection to give you a little extra peace of mind.
- Megan could check her cameras to see who is at the door and then choose to lock or unlock the door from her smart phone. This allows her security and convenience.
- 24/7 video surveillance accessible on any TV, tablet, smart phone or touch screen in the house
- Affordable touch screens and keypads throughout help keep the home safe and secure
- Intercom allows the family to easily screen or greet visitors
- This allows Megan Security and a communication line to those at her door to let them know she is on her way or to ask them to come inside. This gives Megan privacy and control.
- With Control4, it’s easy to take advantage of intelligent automation that contributes to a more comfortable home—and a more efficient planet. Here are just a few ideas:
- Program your shades and thermostat to automatically adjust for maximum energy efficiency based on the seasons, time of day or outside temperature
- Control your thermostat from any Control4 interface—even your iPhone
- Megan often wants to change the temperature down when she goes to bed at night. If she forgets to do this before she gets into bed, she has to roll over, sit up, put her shoes on, move to the edge of the bed, lean forward and transfer which takes about 20 minutes each way. It would be much better to be able to change the temperature with the push of a button on her smart phone.
- Megan may also have wood floors in her home, therefore control of the humidifier will be important.
- You can monitor and control your smart home even when you’re not there. Get text alerts if your garage door was left open.
- Megan will be using her garage as storage space as well, so this would be a great benefit so that nothing gets stolen or enters the home.
- With just one single remote, enjoy control over your TV, receiver, DVR, media player, CD changer or virtually any system in your home theater setup. Control4 connects to TuneIn, which allows you to access local stations as well as those around the world.
- This would be a great way to automate her alarm clock for a wake-up call or reminder to take daily medications.
- A home theater setup that takes care of lights, sound and picture with one touch using your remote, smart phone or tablet.
- Megan would have access to an all-in-one remote that she can even access via her smart phone as well.
- Streamline Systems is available to answer any questions about the system, give an in-depth walk through, and support the system after installation.
Megan said that being in a wheelchair takes away a lot of her independence and that the features listed above would be of great usefulness in gaining some of that control back. Please join us in Donating to Megan’s Freedom and Independent Living Benefit.
Please send Checks to:
Streamline Systems, Inc.
127 Old M-21
Jenison, MI 49428
Please write “Megan” on the reference line.